Turkey-zucchini burgers with apple-date chutney and rice pilaf
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
33 – 45 Minutes
Indian flavors infuse turkey-zucchini burgers in this easy-to-make, gluten-free crowd-pleaser, complete with cardamom- and cinnamon-infused rice.
- 1 or 2 shallots
- ½ cup rice blend (white rice - wild rice)
- Rice spice blend (cardamom - cinnamon - cloves)
- 1 apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 ounces pitted dates
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 zucchini
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- Turkey spice blend (granulated garlic - ground ginger - coriander)
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
The chutney (minus the mint) and uncooked turkey-zucchini patties can be prepared, covered, and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead. Rewarm the chutney and let the patties stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before cooking.
Cook the rice pilaf
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots; set aside half for the chutney.
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice blend.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chutney.
Make the apple-date chutney
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core. Cut the fruit into ½-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the dates.
While the chutney cooks, prepare the burgers.
Prep the turkey-zucchini burgers
- Trim the ends from the zucchini. Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini.
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the burgers
While the burgers cook, prepare the mint.
Prep the mint; finish the chutney
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 980mg (41% DV), Carbohydrates: 101g (34% DV), Total Sugars: 31g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.