Two bean–mushroom chili with gluten-free cornbread
30 – 40 Minutes
Our vegetarian red and white bean chili is perfect for a quick dinner; we send the gluten-free cornbread mix so it comes together almost instantly.
In your bag
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Sun Basket gluten-free cornbread mix (gluten-free all-purpose flour - cornmeal - sugar - baking powder - salt)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1½ cups cooked white beans
- 1½ cups cooked red beans
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1¾ cups diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup diced mild green chiles
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
Cornbread is the ultimate American dish, dating back to Native Americans who used ground corn as flour to make bread. It acquired its cake-like qualities in the 19th century with the invention of baking powder and baking soda, which leavened the bread, making it lighter.
Bake the cornbread
- Lightly grease a 6-well muffin pan, small (8-inch) ovenproof frying pan, or medium (8 by 8 inches) baking dish with butter or neutral oil.
- Measure out ½ cup milk; save the rest for another use.
While the cornbread bakes and cools, prepare the chili.
Prep the chili ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms; cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Rinse the white and red beans.
Cook the chili
Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, green chiles, beans, and 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens, 15 to 18 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the chili is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Grease the muffin pan.
- Stir together the cornbread batter.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Rinse the beans.
- Serve the meal.
Calories: 640, Protein: 17g (34% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 40mg (13% DV), Sodium: 610mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 91g (30% DV), Total Sugars: 28g, Added Sugars: (Granulated sugar): 16g (32% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.