In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Udon soup with tofu, dashi, and soft-cooked eggs
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
You don’t need meat to get big flavor in this Japanese-style vegetarian soup; enjoy udon and beech mushrooms in a broth with an umami-rich, edible kelp called kombu.
In your bag
- 1 pound fresh udon noodles
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 3 scallions
- 1 pound Savoy cabbage
- 3½ ounces beech mushrooms
- Sunbasket miso noodle soup base (yellow miso - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- Two 2-inch squares square kombu
- Nori strips (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon togarashi
Calories 600, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 155mg (52% DV), Sodium 1200mg (52% DV), Total Carb. 21g (8% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Cook the udon noodles and eggs
Return the pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for exactly 5 minutes for soft-cooked (for hard-cooked eggs, cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer). Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs and cut in half lengthwise. Wipe out the pot.
While the water heats and the udon and eggs cook, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the tofu
- Cut the tofu crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices.
While the tofu cooks, prepare the scallions.
Prep the scallions; make the scallion oil
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Cook the soup
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms.
- Fill a small bowl with ice water.
- Time the eggs.
- Peel the cooked eggs.
- Garnish with the nori and egg halves.
- Try eating the udon noodles with chopsticks.