In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Vegan Caesar salad with stuffed tomatoes
Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
Almond milk, cashew butter, and lemon juice create a tangy, creamy base for this vegan take on Caesar salad. Charring the romaine adds a tantalizingly smoky flavor.
In your bag
- ¼ cup bulgur wheat
- 1 vegan whole wheat bun
- 2 organic tomatoes (about 1 pound total)
- ½ ounce pine nuts
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens such as kale
- 2 organic romaine hearts
- 1 organic lemon
- Sunbasket vegan Caesar dressing (almond milk - cashew butter - fresh lemon juice - Dijon mustard - capers - vegan Worcestershire sauce - kosher salt - nutritional yeast - fresh garlic - black pepper - onion powder)
Calories 500, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 400mg (17% DV), Total Carb. 68g (25% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 17g
Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the bulgur
Bring a small sauce pot of lightly salted water and the bulgur to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl.
While the bulgur cooks, prepare the croutons and tomatoes.
Toast the croutons
- Cut the bun into 1-inch pieces.
While the croutons toast, prepare the stuffing for the tomatoes.
Prep the tomato stuffing
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the ribs, seeds, and pulp.
In the same pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the bulgur, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
Stuff and roast the tomatoes
While the tomatoes roast, prepare the romaine.
Prep and cook the romaine; finish the dressing
- Keeping the root end intact, cut the romaine in half lengthwise.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
In small bowl, stir together the vegan Caesar dressing and lemon juice.
- Toss the bun pieces with oil.
- Scoop out the tomatoes.
- Juice the lemon.
- Stir the dressing and lemon juice.
- Drizzle the romaine with dressing.