Vegan Jamaican jerk chili with mango salsa
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
You won’t miss the meat or dairy in our easy vegan chili, brightened with our favorite jerk spices.
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¾ cup rainbow quinoa
- Jamaican jerk spice blend (coriander - thyme - cinnamon - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - allspice)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 mango
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
Make It Leaner
In Step 2, omit the oil and cook the onion and bell pepper in 1 to 2 tablespoons water instead, and you’ll lose 20 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per serving.
According to The Oxford Companion to Food, the word “jerk” comes from the Peruvian charqui, meaning “dried meat.” It’s also the root of “jerky.”
Prep the onion, bell pepper, and quinoa
- Peel and coarsely chop three-fourths of the red onion. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup; set aside for the mango salsa.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
Start cooking the chili
Add the quinoa, tomatoes, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the chili is thickened, 18 to 20 minutes.
While the chili cooks, prepare the mango salsa and the remaining chili ingredients.
Make the mango salsa
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Cut the halves lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Juice the lime.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Prep the remaining chili ingredients; finish the chili
- Rinse the white beans.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
Protein: 16g (32% DV), Fiber: 21g (84% DV), Total Fat: 8g (12% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g (5% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 300mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 103g (34% DV), Total Sugars: 38g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).