Vegetarian sausage and sweet potato stir-fry with olive relish
Vegetarian, Dairy Free
The “Italian sausage” in this dish is neither Italian nor sausage. It’s seitan, a traditional Japanese food made from wheat. It has a meat-like texture and a hearty flavor—and it’s high in protein and low in fat.
- 1 to 2 Garnet sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ½ pound curly kale
- 1½ ounces Kalamata olives
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ounce sprouted almonds
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- ½ pound Upton Italian seitan sausage
- ½ cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Prep the vegetables
- Scrub the sweet potato, cut in half lengthwise and then into ¼-inch-thick half-moon slices.
- Peel the onion and thinly slice.
- Coarsely chop the garlic.
- Strip the kale leaves from their stems, coarsely chop the leaves, and then rinse.
Cook the sweet potatoes
Make the relish
- Chop the olives.
- Chop the parsley leaves.
- Chop the almonds.
Cook the stir-fry
- Break apart the Italian seitan sausage.
Add the Italian seitan sausage and the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring to combine, until the seitan and artichoke hearts are just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the kale and ½ cup water, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 720, Protein: 43 g, Total Fat: 28 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 80 g, Fiber: 13 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1190 mg