Vietnamese shaking beef with lime-pepper dipping sauce
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 - 35 Minutes
This steak stir-fry takes its name from the traditional cooking method, in which the cook shakes the pan as the beef browns. We’ve included Chef Justine’s favorite salt and pepper for the dipping sauce because they’re so important to the final taste. For a strictly paleo version, omit the mirin and use white wine or water instead.
- 1 or 2 sweet potatoes
- Fresh ginger
- 1 red onion
- 3 scallions
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Two 6-ounce top sirloin steaks
- 3 ounces watercress
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper blend (Celtic sea salt - black pepper)
- Paleo stir-fry seasoning base (coconut aminos - fish sauce - coconut vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
Roast the sweet potatoes
- Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the potatoes roast, prepare the stir-fry.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions into 1-inch lengths.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
Sear the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel. Cut the steaks into 1-inch pieces; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the steaks cook, prepare the watercress and make the lime-pepper dipping sauce.
Prep the watercress and lime-pepper dipping sauce
- Trim the root ends and any coarse stems from the watercress.
- Juice the lime.
Finish the stir-fry
Add the steak and any accumulated juices. Stir in the stir-fry seasoning base and the mirin or 2 tablespoons white wine or water; cook, stirring to coat, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon butter, if using.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 41 g, Total Fat: 43 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 130 mg, Carbohydrates: 49 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1750 mg