Vietnamese steak stir-fry with jasmine rice
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
In this gluten-free meal, curry powder and a splash of fish sauce bring depth and umami to stir-fried steak and a colorful array of vegetables.
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 summer squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lime
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- Sun Basket stir-fry blend (fresh garlic - fresh ginger - fish sauce - sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 scallions
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
The key to browning steak strips for a stir-fry is to start with a hot pan and dry meat, so pat the steak as dry as possible before cooking.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry ingredients.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper. Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- Juice half the lime; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 37g (57% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 2000mg (83% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.