In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Wagyu burgers with pancetta-onion jam and asparagus-couscous salad
Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 940 Calories/Serving
Pancetta-onion jam might just be the topping to end all burger toppings. Crispy bits of pancetta and sweet caramelized onion are cooked with apple cider vinegar and honey until the mixture transforms into a thick, luxurious spread.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 6 ounces organic asparagus
- ½ cup pearl couscous
- Burger options:
- 2 Wagyu burgers (about 5 ounces each)
- 12 ounces plant-based Impossible Burger
- 1 organic heirloom or other tomato (about ½ pound total)
- Sunbasket sweet pea pistou (extra virgin olive oil - peas - spinach - Parmesan - garlic)
- 2 brioche buns
- ¼ cup fresh ricotta
Calories 940, Total Fat 61g (78% DV), Sat. Fat 18g (90% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 130mg (43% DV), Sodium 480mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 69g (25% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 9g Added Sugars, 18% DV), Protein 31g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the pancetta-onion jam
- Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil for the asparagus and couscous.
- Finely chop the onion; transfer 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] onion to a large bowl and set aside for the salad.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in the quick-pickle brine and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water and cook, stirring often, until thickened slightly and the consistency is jammy, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out the pan. While the jam is cooking, prepare the asparagus and couscous.
Blanch the asparagus; cook the couscous
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus; cut the asparagus on the diagonal into ½-inch pieces.
To the pot of boiling water, add the asparagus and cook until bright green and just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water, letting the excess water drain. Transfer to the bowl with the 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] onion.
Return the water to a boil, add the couscous, and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the couscous and rinse under cold water. Add to the bowl with the onion and asparagus and toss with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. While the water is heating and the couscous is cooking, prepare the burgers.
Prep and cook the burgers
- Cut a small corner from the burger packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. (If using Impossible Burger, season with salt and pepper; using wet hands, form into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties.)
In the same pan used for the pancetta-onion jam, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan. While the burgers are cooking, finish the salad.
Finish the asparagus-couscous salad; toast the buns
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut as many slices for the burgers as you like, then coarsely chop the remaining tomato for the salad.
To the bowl with the onion, asparagus, and couscous, add the chopped tomato and sweet pea pistou and stir to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the patties, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven.
Assemble the burgers
Place the bun bottoms and tops, cut sides up, on a work surface. Spread the bun bottoms with the pancetta-onion jam. Top each with a burger and tomato slices; season with salt and pepper. Spread the bun tops with the ricotta; close the burgers with the bun tops.
Transfer the burgers and asparagus-couscous salad to individual plates and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the jam.
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus.
- Assemble the salad.
- Help assemble the burgers.