Chicken cutlets with rice pilaf and Waldorf salad
Gluten Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
This one-pan meal riffs on a classic stovetop chicken and rice casserole. We’ve put the Waldorf salad on top, so that you have a one-pot meal that’s easy to cook, serve, and clean up.
- Four ¼-pound chicken cutlets
- 2 lemons
- Waldorf dressing base (Greek yogurt - maple syrup - Dijon mustard - salt - black pepper)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Rice seasoning blend (porcini powder - granulated garlic - sweet paprika)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ pound seedless green grapes
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 Gala apple
- ½ cup walnuts
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Brown the chicken and lemon slices
- Cut off a small corner of the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken in half on the diagonal; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut half of 1 lemon into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Juice the other lemon half. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice and Waldorf dressing base. Set aside for serving. Reserve the remaining lemon for the salad and rice.
In the same pan over medium-high heat, add the lemon slices and cook until lightly browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the chicken. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the Waldorf salad.
Make the Waldorf salad
- Remove any stems from the grapes.
- Cut the grapes in half.
- Trim the ends from the celery; thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core; coarsely chop the fruit.
- Zest the remaining lemon; set aside for the rice.
- Juice the lemon; set aside half for the rice.
Finish the chicken and rice
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems. Coarsely tear half the leaves; set aside the whole leaves for garnish.
Remove from the heat and spoon the Waldorf salad on top. Garnish with the parsley leaves and sumac.
- Juice the lemons.
- Remove the grape stems.
- Make the dressing and dress the salad.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 600, Protein: 32 g, Total Fat: 27 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 65 mg, Carbohydrates: 59 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar (Maple Syrup; chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 2 g, Sodium: 690 mg
Contains: tree nuts, milk