In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Warm farro salad with roasted squash and Brussels sprouts
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
Topped with toasted panko and pumpkin seeds, this layered grain bowl is loaded with delicious flavors plus winter veggies for a hearty bowl of plant-based goodness.
In your bag
- ½ cup farro
- 1 organic delicata or other squash (about ¾ pound)
- ½ pound organic Brussels sprouts
- 1 organic red onion
- ¼ cup panko
- Sunbasket pumpkin seed dukkah (pumpkin seeds - sesame seeds - coriander - cumin - kosher salt - black pepper)
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- 1 organic Cara Cara or other orange
- Sunbasket sweet vinaigrette base (red wine vinegar - maple syrup)
- 5 ounces organic chopped kale or other leafy greens
Calories 510, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 180mg (8% DV), Total Carb. 70g (25% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 16g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the farro
Heat the oven to 425°F.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1½ cups [3 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the grains are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot, and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and roast the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the delicata squash (if using peeled and cubed butternut, no need to prep). Cut the delicata squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut each half crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise.
- Peel and cut the onion in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices.
On a sheet pan [2 sheet pans], drizzle the squash, Brussels sprouts, and onion with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring once halfway through, until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Toast the panko and dukkah
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the panko, pumpkin seed dukkah, and as much Aleppo chile as you like. Season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the panko is lightly browned and the seeds begin to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Make the orange vinaigrette; prep the kale
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; coarsely chop the fruit. Discard any seeds.
In the same pan used for the panko and dukkah, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the orange and sweet vinaigrette base, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss the kale with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the kale to individual bowls and spoon over 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] orange vinaigrette. Add the farro, roasted vegetables, and more vinaigrette, if desired. Sprinkle with the toasted panko and dukkah and serve.
- Measure the water for the farro.
- Scoop out the squash seeds.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil and season.
- Toss the kale with oil and season.
- Help assemble the salad.