White bean and mushroom cassoulet with parsley–red onion salad
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
Traditionally a meaty dish, cassoulet (or French casserole) goes vegan and gluten-free with lush white beans and two kinds of mushrooms.
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 leek
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons porcini powder
- ¼ cup roasted almonds
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
To get dinner on the table even more quickly, in Step 2, start cooking the leeks and mirepoix while you finish prepping the remaining ingredients.
Make It Leaner
Use just 1½ teaspoons oil to cook the mirepoix and leek in Step 3 and 1 teaspoon oil for the salad in Step 4 and you’ll save 40 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving.
Prep the onion
- Peel and very thinly slice enough red onion to measure ½ cup.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
Prep the cassoulet ingredients
- Trim the root end from the leek; cut the leek in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Soak the leek in a medium bowl of cold water, stirring occasionally to loosen any dirt, and allow the dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leek from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Coarsely chop half the cremini mushrooms for the cassoulet filling; thinly slice half for the cassoulet topping.
- Rinse the white beans.
Start the cassoulet
While the cassoulet simmers, prepare the almonds.
Prep the almonds; finish the cassoulet
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
When the cassoulet is almost done, prepare the parsley–red onion salad.
Finish the parsley–red onion salad
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 18g (36% DV), Fiber: 15g (60% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 120mg (5% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 55g (18% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts.