In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
White bean “meatballs” and rigatoni in mushroom marinara
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
Who doesn’t love pasta and meatballs? Our vegan version with white bean “meatballs” and mushroom marinara is a riff on the Italian classic you can’t refuse.
In your bag
- 5 ounces gluten-free rigatoni
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Sunbasket umami powder (nutritional yeast - porcini powder)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free tamari
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh basil
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - fresh garlic - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - EVOO - onion powder - kosher salt - dried oregano - black pepper - dried thyme)
Calories 710, Total Fat 19g (24% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 440mg (19% DV), Total Carb. 113g (41% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 22g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rigatoni
While the water heats and the rigatoni cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the onion and mushrooms
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [1½ cups].
- Finely chop the mushrooms.
Prep the “meatballs”
- Rinse the white beans.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, spread half the cornmeal in an even layer. Set aside the rest for the “meatball” mixture.
To the bowl with the white bean mixture, add the umami powder, tamari, and remaining cornmeal; season with salt and pepper and mix until just combined. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll the “meatballs” in the cornmeal, pressing lightly to coat all over.
Cook the “meatballs”
While the “meatballs” cook, prepare the basil and the marinara.
Prep the basil; finish the marinara
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse and mash the beans.
- Shape the “meatballs” and roll in the cornmeal.
- Strip the basil leaves.
- Garnish with the basil.