In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chickpea and carrot pita pockets with cumin-lime tahini
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
Chickpeas alone taste great—but dress them up in cumin-lime tahini and a sweet maple glaze and they’re absolutely swoon-worthy.
In your bag
- 3 or 4 organic carrots (about ¾ pound total)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 organic lime
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 organic cucumber
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 2 Atoria’s Family Bakery whole grain pita breads
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 680, Total Fat 38g (49% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 480mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 69g (25% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 22g
Contains: Wheat, Sesame (sesame)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the carrots and chickpeas
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Set aside half the cumin for the tahini.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the carrots and half the cumin, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the chickpeas, maple syrup, and ¼ cup [⅓ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and the liquid has thickened to a glaze, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Make the cumin-lime tahini
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] lime juice for the salad.
In a small bowl, stir together the tahini, lime zest, remaining lime juice and cumin, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the arugula salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into enough thin half-moons to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
In a medium bowl, toss together the cucumber, arugula, 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] lime juice, and 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast and assemble the pitas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the pita breads, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Cut in half.
Fill each pita half with the carrots and chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, and as much arugula salad and cumin-lime tahini as you like.
Transfer the pitas to individual plates and serve any remaining salad and cumin-lime tahini on the side.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the cumin-lime tahini.
- Measure the cucumber.
- Assemble the salad.
- Help assemble the pitas.