Yakitori chicken meatballs with roasted cauliflower and carrots
30 – 40 Minutes
Japanese-inspired, paleo, and gluten-free, these easy chicken meatballs are served with roasted vegetables and an appealing dipping sauce.
In your bag
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 or 3 carrots
- 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon white miso (optional)
- Wooden skewers
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- Yakitori dipping sauce base (coconut aminos - coconut vinegar - maple syrup)
Yakitori is a Japanese word combining yaki, meaning “grilled,” and tori, meaning “poultry.” Across Japan, yakitori is served at izakayas, or gastropubs, as a popular happy-hour snack
Prep the chicken mixture
- If using, let the butter come to room temperature.
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the juice for the yakitori dipping sauce.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut a small corner from the ground chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
Prep and roast the vegetables
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets, discarding any leaves or thick stalks.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- If using, in a small bowl, mash together the butter and miso with a fork.
While the vegetables roast, prepare the meatballs.
Shape and cook the meatballs
- Using wet hands, form the chicken mixture into 1½-inch meatballs. Thread the meatballs onto the wooden skewers.
While the meatballs cook, prepare the yakitori dipping sauce.
Make the yakitori dipping sauce
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
Protein: 41g (82% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 810mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates: 40g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 20g, Added Sugars (Yakitori dipping sauce contains maple syrup): 4g (8% DV).
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts, Soybeans