In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Yucatecan sopa de lima with shredded chicken and tortilla chips
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Family-Friendly, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
When life gives you limes, make sopa de lima. Bright, warm, and straight-up delicious, this Mayan chicken soup is known for its trademark tartness.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic lime
- Tortilla chips (for garnish)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic serrano or other fresh chile (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Calories: 530, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 670mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 57g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the chicken
In a medium [large] sauce pot, add the chicken and enough lightly salted water to cover by 2 inches, making sure the chicken pieces are separated, and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken. Reserve 1 cup [2 cups] chicken cooking liquid. Wipe out the pot. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, prepare the remaining ingredients and start the soup.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Thinly slice half the lime and set aside for garnish; juice the remaining half. [Thinly slice 1 lime; juice the remaining lime.]
- Break the tortilla chips into small pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem; thinly slice the serrano crosswise. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the soup
In the same pot used for the chicken, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and as much serrano as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, oregano, reserved chicken cooking liquid, and shredded chicken and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls. Garnish with the lime rounds, tortilla chips, and cilantro and serve.
- Shred the chicken.
- Measure the onion.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lime.
- Break the tortilla chips.