Yucatan-style salmon with capers and tomatoes
Dairy Free, Soy Free
The Yucatan caps the Mexican peninsula that juts out into the Gulf of Mexico. So it’s no surprise that cooks there know their way around a piece of fish. Yucatecan recados, or spice blends, are also legendary. The recado in the salmon marinade shows Spanish colonial influences, blending black pepper, cinnamon, and allspice. The fish and rice also get oomph from a Yucatecan staple spice, achiote, the dried red berries of the shrub of the same name.
- Two 6-ounce wild Alaskan salmon fillets
- 2 limes
- Caper marinade base (capers - olive oil - honey - black pepper - cinnamon - cumin - cloves - allspice - achiote - salt)
- 1 shallot
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote
- ½ cup panko
- ½ pound heirloom tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce Castelvetrano olives
- 1 tablespoon roasted pumpkin seeds
- Olive vinaigrette base (champagne vinegar - fresh garlic - whole grain mustard)
Marinate the salmon
- Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel.
- Juice 1½ limes; cut the remaining ½ lime into wedges.
Cook the rice
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon.
Cook the salmon
In a pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the salmon and cook until the panko is browned and the salmon is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the salmon cooks, start the salad.
Make the salad and the olive vinaigrette
- Core and cut the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
In a small bowl, combine the olive vinaigrette base with the olives, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add half the vinaigrette to the tomato mixture and toss to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 770, Protein: 46 g, Total Fat: 40 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 100 mg, Carbohydrates: 61 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar: 2 g, Sodium: 1140 mg
Contains: fish, wheat