In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Za’atar chicken skewers with lentil and vegetable tagine
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
Put the fork down. This one's for all you finger foodies out there. These chicken skewers are just as healthy as they are fun.
In your bag
- 1 organic yellow onion or shallots
- 1 or 2 organic carrots (about 5 ounces total)
- 1 organic zucchini or other summer squash
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Wooden skewers
- 1½ teaspoons za’atar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Tagine spice blend (baharat - coriander - cumin)
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
Nutrition per serving
Calories 440, Total Fat 8g (10% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (8% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 125mg (42% DV), Sodium 190mg (8% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 50g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots into quarters lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Rinse the lentils.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces; season with salt and pepper. Thread the chicken onto the wooden skewers.
While the chicken cooks, cook the lentil and vegetable tagine.
Cook the tagine
Stir in the tomato paste and tagine spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the lentils and ½ cup [1 cup] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the vegetables are almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the lemon into wedges. [Cut 1 lemon into wedges; save the remaining lemon.]
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon.