In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Zucchini and black bean tacos with cabbage–bell pepper slaw
Family-Friendly, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Get your taco fix with these easy vegetarian and gluten-free tacos, seasoned with a mellow blend of chili powder, sweet smoked paprika, and Mexican oregano.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic zucchini or yellow squash (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- Sunbasket honey-lime vinaigrette base (lime juice - onion - honey - Aleppo chile flakes)
- Sunbasket taco seasoning (chili powder - onion powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika - dried Mexican oregano)
- ½ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces organic shredded Savoy or other cabbage
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
Calories: 590, Protein: 15g (30% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 24g (37% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 240mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates: 87g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 21g, Added Sugars: 7g (14% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables and black beans
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces. Divide into two equal portions, one for the vegetable mixture and one for the slaw.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Divide the honey-lime vinaigrette base into two equal portions, one for the vegetable mixture and one for the slaw.
Cook the vegetables and black beans
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown and soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the onion and half the bell pepper, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, black beans, and ¼ cup [½ cup] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half the honey-lime vinaigrette base. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the vegetables and beans are cooking, prepare the slaw.
Make the slaw
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining honey-lime vinaigrette base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil. Add the cabbage, remaining bell pepper, and half the cilantro and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 6  tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the 6  tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Set out the tortillas, squash-bean mixture, slaw, and remaining cilantro. Invite everyone to assemble their own tacos.
- Rinse the beans.
- Measure the water for the vegetables.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Count the tortillas.
- Help set out the taco ingredients.