Seven Foods Sure To Get A Smile
At Sunbasket, when we talk about living your best, healthiest life, it probably doesn’t bring to mind your teeth and gums. That’s why we’re partnering with Hum by Colgate – because a healthy mouth supports a healthy body. This doesn’t just mean brushing and flossing daily, but choosing nourishing, healthy foods to put on your fork in the first place.
The American Dental Association recommends eating a nutritious, well balanced diet made up of 50% fruits and vegetables with the remaining 50% divided between unsaturated fats (think avocados, nuts and oils) and a high-quality protein source Sunbasket makes it easy to incorporate wholesome, farm-fresh foods into your diet that can make a big impact on your oral health and overall wellbeing. Here are our top seven foods for a healthier mouth:
- Say Cheese: Eating cheese promotes saliva production, raising your mouth’s pH level – lowering tooth decay risk. The calcium and protein in cheese also help strengthen tooth enamel.
- Culture Club: The Probiotics – or good bacteria – in yogurt are great for gums, cancelling out bad bacteria that cause cavities. High in calcium and protein like cheese, it’s also great for strengthening teeth.
- Kale Yeah: Full of vitamins and minerals, like calcium and folic acid (a type of B vitamin), leafy greens like spinach and kale reinforce tooth enamel and help treat gum disease.
- Crunch Time: High in fiber and water, firm, crunchy fruits like apples and pears increase saliva, helping rinse off bacteria and food particles, and the fruit’s fibrous texture stimulate and scrub the gums – helping in a pinch if your toothbrush isn’t handy.
- Grin and Carrot: Crisp and full of fiber like the fruits above, carrots contain Vitamin A to fuel saliva production, helping wash away bacteria and plaque, preventing tooth decay, and reducing cavity risk.
- Now We’re Stalk-ing: Munching on celery helps scrape off food particles and bacteria too – and it’s a good source of the antioxidants Vitamins A and C to strengthen gums and protect against the early stages of gum disease.
- Go Nuts: Nuts – especially almonds – are low in sugar and a good source of calcium and phosphorus-rich protein, which help protect tooth enamel and fight off tooth decay.
Tooth Be Told
Adding these seven foods to your diet can make a difference when it comes to a cleaner, healthier smile, but so does your brushing style. Did you know most people miss 40% of their teeth when they brush? Sunbasket is partnering with Hum by Colgate to help you not only eat better but brush better. Hum is the smart electric toothbrush and app that guides, times, and reminds you to brush your best – and rewards you for it. Earn smile points toward Sunbasket meal deliveries with the Hum by Colgate app.