Frequently Asked Questions
How does Sunbasket work?
- We use the season’s best farm-fresh ingredients, so you get the best meals.
- Choose Meal Kits or Fresh & Ready meals that you can simply heat and eat. Mix and match for a bit of both.
- Select a meal plan that’s right for you. From Paleo to Vegetarian—and everything in between—there’s a meal plan for everyone. You can always make your own selections from our full menu. Learn more in the “Meal Plans” section below.
- Choose at least 4 servings per week. Flexible serving sizes are great for singles, couples, and families.
- Meals start at $9.99 per serving, and delivery is free on your first order.
- We deliver weekly, but you can skip a week or cancel anytime. Out of town? We can deliver there, too.
- Just be sure to make your changes before the weekly cut off on Wednesdays at 12 p.m. PT / 3 p.m. ET.
- See full details under “Making changes to your account” below.
- We’ll deliver on your schedule: Most customers can choose any day Sunday-Thursday, but depending on your zip code, your delivery day options may be limited so we can ensure freshness.
- Our carefully engineered packaging sustains freshness through transit and arrival to your door.
- We currently ship to most zip codes in the United States, excluding AK, HI, MT, ND, and parts of NM. Not all delivery days are available in all areas.
- The pending charge you may see at checkout is a temporary pre-authorization charge to verify the validity of the payment method you are using.
- Rest assured this amount will be returned to you when the final amount is determined and charged at cutoff on Wednesdays at 12pm Noon PT. Typically this happens within 7-10 days.
What comes in my Sunbasket?
- From our Meal Kits to our Fresh & Ready meals, everything we offer is made with hand-selected seasonal ingredients from the country’s top farmers, ranchers, and seafood purveyors.
- In your Sunbasket you’ll find fresh organic produce, responsibly raised meats free of antibiotics and hormones, and seafood that’s wild-caught or sustainably raised, following the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program guidelines. Not to mention incredible seasonings and sauces!
- Our Meal Kits serve 2 or 4 and come with easy-to-follow recipes. Our Fresh & Ready meals serve 1 and arrive prepared and ready to pop in the oven or microwave.
- All of our meals and recipes are developed by our team of award-winning chefs.
- Our meals are dietitian-approved and emphasize nutrient-dense produce, whole grains, high-quality protein, and good fats, with minimal added sugar and processed ingredients. All of our meals:
- Contain about 400-800 calories / serving
- Are high in fiber, with at least 5g / serving
- Are high in protein, with at least 10g / serving
- Contain limited sodium, typically less than 800mg / serving
What types of meals does Sunbasket offer?
We offer a range of options to meet your schedule and readiness to cook.
- Classic Meal Kits (Serve 2 or 4): Make restaurant-quality meals yourself, with our easy-to-follow directions. Made with incredibly fresh seasonal ingredients, most recipes are ready in 30 minutes or less.
- Fresh & Ready Meals (Serve 1): We’ve done the cooking for you. Prepared meals delivered in a microwave- and oven-ready tray. Simply heat and they’re ready to eat in as little as 4 minutes.
- Pre-Prepped Meal Kits (Serve 2 or 4): Cooking made even easier. We handle the chopping, measuring, and sauces; you add the finishing touches for a stellar homemade meal in just 15-20 minutes.
- Chef’s Table Meal Kits (Serve 2 or 4): When you want something extra special. Our chefs design these recipes to feature premium proteins, unique ingredients, and flavor combinations. Perfect for a celebratory moment, date night, or anytime. Additional surcharge per serving applies.
- For prepared meals (Serve 1):
- Fresh & Ready: Our healthy, heat and eat meals made with organic fresh produce ready in minutes—no chopping, no cleanup.
- For Meal Kits (Serve 2 or 4):
- Chef’s Choice: Our chef’s hand-picked recipes, highlighting peak seasonal organic produce, top-quality meats and seafood, and unique house-made sauces. Healthy favorites sure to please.
- Paleo: More meat & veggies, fewer carbs. Clean, high-protein recipes full of organic fresh produce, top quality proteins, and no dairy, gluten, grains, soy, or corn.
- Gluten-Free Friendly: No gluten, just delicious. Lose the gluten without feeling deprived, with fresh vegetables, top quality meats and seafood, plus our chef’s favorite gluten-free alternatives.
[Please note that Sunbasket meals are prepared in a facility that handles wheat. Due to the risk of cross-contamination, we don’t recommend our meals for people with severe gluten intolerance.]
- Lean & Clean: Around 550 calories per serving, with loads of flavor. Manage your weight and feel great with delicious meals high in protein and fiber, with no gluten or dairy.
- Vegetarian: Vibrant, creative recipes starring fresh, organic produce, responsibly sourced dairy, and eggs.
- Pescatarian: Combine the benefits of a vegetarian diet, rich in seasonal organic produce, with an added helping of sustainably sourced seafood.
- Mediterranean: Seasonal produce, lean meats, & healthy grains. We also include good fats and fresh herbs for a fully Mediteranean experience.
- Diabetes-Friendly: Healthy, delicious meals designed to help manage diabetes, and help you take the guesswork out of meal planning and cooking.
- Carb-Conscious: We’ll watch the carbs, so you don’t have to. Mouthwatering meals with 35g net carbs or fewer per serving.
- While we do accommodate a range of dietary preferences, Sunbasket recipes are packed in a facility that handles gluten as well as all major food allergens: milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.
- Our Gluten-Free recipes are prepared in the same facility as our other meals, and may not be suitable for those with severe gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- If you have a very serious food allergy or intolerance, Sunbasket may not be the right fit for you.
What are Sunbasket’s ingredient standards?
- We work with trusted farms to select the highest quality produce available.
- We deliver organic fresh produce in our meal kits 98% of the time. We strive for 100% but every so often, factors like weather make an organic option unavailable.
- If we ever have to substitute an organic ingredient with a conventional alternative, we will let you know.
- Our meats and seafood are free of antibiotics and artificial hormones, and we offer organic, free-range, and pasture-raised meats and poultry as well.
- We partner with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program to ensure responsible sourcing of both wild-caught and farm-raised seafood. This means sourcing from fisheries or aquaculture operations that are rated a Green Best Choice, Yellow Good Alternative, or that are eco-certified to a standard recognized by Seafood Watch.
At Sunbasket, we’re committed to sourcing the most responsibly-raised meat, poultry and seafood possible. We work closely with our ranchers, farmers, fishermen and other suppliers to maintain these high standards. We also seek ways to improve the welfare of animals raised throughout our supply chain.
As of today:
- Our eggs come from chickens that are given the ability to roam freely in open environments. We strive to use only eggs from pasture-raised hens, but may use free-range when pasture-raised eggs are unavailable.
- 100% of Sunbasket seafood is sustainably raised or wild-caught. We only use seafood that is certified by the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) or Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), a leading authority in sustainable seafood.
- 100% of our chicken comes from family farms in the United States that observe high standards of animal welfare. All chickens are given the ability to roam freely, with no broiler cages, and are fed a 100% vegetarian diet. Our chickens are never given antibiotics and are never administered growth promotants, hormones, or steroids.
- 100% of Sunbasket turkey is raised on family farms in climate-controlled barns where they have access to fresh, clean water 24 hours a day and are raised on a vegetarian diet that consists of grains and non-GMO vitamins and minerals. They are never caged, never given antibiotics, and are allowed to roam freely throughout the barn with access to the outside.
- 100% of Sunbasket’s pork comes from ethically-run family farms that care deeply about the welfare of their animals. The pigs are fed a vegetarian diet and are raised in a safe, nurturing environment. Sunbasket’s pork is always antibiotic-free and hormone-free.
- 100% of Sunbasket beef is humanely raised in pastures to maintain the quality of the end product by reducing stress and strain on the animal throughout the life cycle. Animals are given unlimited access to the outdoors, and not in confined areas nor over-crowded in feedlots. Our organic beef comes from cattle that are exclusively grass-fed and our non-organic beef comes from cattle that are grass-fed and grain-finished. 100% of Sunbasket beef is antibiotic-free.
- 100% of Sunbasket lamb is pasture-raised and antibiotic free.
We are working towards the following goals:
- By 2025, for 100% of our pork to be raised in open, group environments without the use of gestation crates.
- By 2026, for 100% of our chicken to be certified by Global Animal Partnership (GAP) and be processed in a manner that avoids live-dumping or live-shackling, and instead utilizes a pre-shackle, multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that’s widely hailed as more humane.
What does Sunbasket stand for?
- Sustainability is built into everything we do. In fact, a University of Michigan study found that shopping at grocery stores generates 33% more greenhouse gases than meal kit delivery. From ingredients to insulation, we’re focused on reducing our ecological impact in every way possible.
- All of our packaging is reusable, recyclable, or compostable. In addition, much of our packaging is made from recycled material:
- Our boxes are made from recycled and virgin kraft paper.
- Our paper insulation is 100% shredded recycled paper filling between two sheets of recyclable kraft paper.
- Our denim insulation is made from 100% reclaimed denim.
- Learn more about our recycling program and get creative ideas for how you can help!
- We believe that food plays a crucial role in our health—not just our physical fitness, but our mental and social well-being, too. We’re here to make the lifelong quest for health a supremely delicious one.
- Our meals are dietitian-approved and emphasize nutrient-dense produce, whole grains, high-quality protein and good fats, with minimal added sugar and processed ingredients.
- Read more about our commitment to sustainability and quality ingredients.
How do I cook with Sunbasket?
- Our carefully engineered packaging sustains freshness even after it arrives on your doorstep.
- Remember to keep your box out of direct sunlight.
- Immediately refrigerate ingredients after removing from the box.
- When your Sunbasket arrives, you might wonder: Which meals should I eat first? We’d recommend eating any meal kits with fresh seafood first, then any Fresh & Ready meals. We also recommend eating Pre-Prepped Meal Kits before Classic Meal Kits.
- Some Fresh & Ready meals can be frozen for cooking later. The cooking instructions will tell you which ones are freezable.
While our Fresh & Ready meals don’t require anything other than a way to heat them up, our Meal Kits require a few basic staples:
- Your pantry should include cooking oil such as olive, grapeseed or sunflower oil, plus salt and freshly-ground pepper.
- We occasionally call for wine or butter as an optional recipe item.
- You’ll need some standard items like pots and pans, a knife, vegetable peeler, grater, zester, cooking spoon, spatula, ladle, and measuring cup.
- Throw a deliciously easy dinner party by doubling up on one recipe, or repurposing a recipe as a starter dish.
- Cook and freeze soups and stews for make-ahead meals.
How do I manage my account?
- To change your meal plan, click on the menu in the upper right, click on My Account, and under Meal Plan, click the Edit icon.
- To change your password, go to My Account and under Account, click Change Password.
- To change your delivery address, go to My Account and under Delivery Information, click the Edit icon.
- To change your billing information, go to My Account and under Payment & Billing, click the Edit icon.
- All changes must be made the Wednesday before your delivery by Noon PST / 3pm EST.
- To select your weekly meals, go to My Menu.
- To see items you’ve ordered in the past, go to Rate Order.
- To skip a week, go to Schedule.
- To cancel, please complete the information here.
- Going out of town? Forward your box to your destination, or to a friend as a thank you for watering your plants.