In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Seared romaine salad with spiced chickpeas, piquillo peppers, and almonds
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
If searing lettuce sounds crazy, just hear us out. For this clever salad, romaine lettuce takes on smashing smokehouse flavor when seared on the stovetop.
In your bag
- 1 ciabatta roll
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- Sunbasket smoky spice blend (sumac - sweet smoked paprika - baharat)
- 2 organic romaine hearts
- ¼ cup dry-roasted almonds
- 2½ ounces piquillo peppers
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sunbasket sherry vinaigrette base (sherry vinegar - whole grain mustard)
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta
Calories 720, Total Fat 48g (62% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 57g (21% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 19g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (almond), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and toast the ciabatta croutons and chickpeas
- Cut the ciabatta into ½-inch pieces.
- Rinse the chickpeas; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine the ciabatta croutons, chickpeas, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season with salt and pepper and the smoky spice blend and toss to coat.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the ciabatta croutons and chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. While the croutons and chickpeas are toasting, prepare the romaine.
Prep and cook the romaine
- Trim the root ends from the romaine hearts; cut the romaine in half lengthwise.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, place the romaine, cut sides down, and cook without turning until lightly browned on some outside leaves, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a cutting board to cool. Add more oil between batches if needed.
When cool, separate the large outer leaves, leaving the inner hearts intact. Coarsely chop the large leaves. While the romaine is cooking and cooling, prepare the remaining ingredients and the vinaigrette.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Thinly slice the piquillo peppers.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Assemble the salad
In a large bowl, stir together the sherry vinaigrette base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the romaine hearts and leaves, ciabatta croutons, chickpeas, almonds, piquillo peppers, and parsley and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual plates, sprinkle with the feta, and serve.
- Rinse the chickpeas and pat dry.
- Toss the ciabatta and chickpeas with oil and seasonings.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the salad.
- Sprinkle the salad with the feta.