Grilled romaine salad with chickpeas and piquillo peppers
20 – 30 Minutes
In this easy vegetarian chickpea salad, romaine lettuce takes on appealing smokehouse flavor when it’s charred on a stovetop grill pan or outdoor grill.
- ⅓ cup roasted almonds
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- Smoky spice blend (sumac - baharat - sweet smoked paprika)
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 romaine hearts
- 2 piquillo peppers
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sherry vinaigrette base (sherry vinegar - honey)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
Toast the almonds and pita bread
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Cut the pita bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Divide the smoky spice blend into two equal portions; set aside half for the chickpeas.
While the almonds and pita bread toast, prepare the chickpeas.
Prep and cook the chickpeas
- Rinse the chickpeas.
While the chickpeas cook, prepare the romaine.
Prep and char the romaine
- Trim the root ends from the romaine hearts; cut the romaine in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle the romaine halves with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper.
While the romaine cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients and the vinaigrette.
Prep the remaining ingredients and the vinaigrette
- Scrape off any seeds from the piquillo peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Toss the salad
Calories: 710, Protein: 20g, Fiber: 9g, Total Fat: 49g, Monounsaturated Fat: 30g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 820mg, Carbohydrates: 49g, Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars (Honey): 9g.
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts, Wheat