A Figgin’ Fantastic End-of-Summer Salsa
Figs have a short season, which comes with an urgency to use them in every possible way. Because they must ripen on the tree, fresh figs are delicate and highly perishable, so use them as soon as you can. This unique salsa comes together quickly and goes with almost everything. Spread it on a sandwich, serve it with crackers and cheese, or use it as a sauce for grilled chicken, pork, and fish.
Fresh Fig and Heirloom Tomato Salsa Recipe
Serves 8 to 10
2 cups organic fresh black mission figs
1 organic cucumber, preferably Persian
3 cups organic cherry or grape tomatoes or 2 large organic heirloom tomatoes
½ organic red onion
1 organic serrano, optional
Organic fresh basil (6 to 8 sprigs)
¼ cup Marcona almonds
1 organic lime
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon red chile flakes, optional
Peeler, optional, large bowl
1. Prep the ingredients
- Trim the stem end from the figs. Cut the figs into quarters lengthwise, then cut crosswise into ¼-inch pieces.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Cut the halves lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into enough ¼-inch pieces to measure 1 cup.
- Cut the cherry or grape tomatoes in half; cut any large tomatoes into quarters. (If using larger heirloom tomatoes, cut away the cores from the tomatoes, then cut into ¼-inch pieces.)
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ⅓ cup.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop as much of the serrano as you like. Wash your hands after handling.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Juice the lime.
2. Make the salsa
In a large bowl, toss together the figs, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, serrano, basil, almonds, olive oil, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add as many chile flakes as you like.
If using immediately, serve the salsa as desired, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 140, Protein: 2g (4% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 8g (12% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 1g (5% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 50mg (2% DV), Carbohydrates: 17g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box.