A Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cookie to Rule Them All

It’s not easy to come up with a fat-free, gluten-free cookie but Test Kitchen Sous Chef Kate Langheim nailed it with these chewy, chocolate-y meringues. Better yet, they’re quick to make, less than 30 minutes from the time you crack the first egg until you’re taking them out of the oven. This simple recipe can easily be doubled. Just be sure to divide the cookies between two sheet pans. 

Dark Chocolate Cherry Meringues Recipe

Makes 12 to 14 cookies

Shopping List
2 organic eggs
2 tablespoons finely chopped shelled pistachios
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup dark chocolate chips
¼ cup dried sour cherries

Small bowls, 3 medium bowls, sheet pan, wire cooling rack, parchment paper  

1. Make the cookie dough
Heat the oven to 350°F.

  • Working over 2 medium bowls, crack 1 egg at a time and separate the white and yolk, carefully dropping the white into 1 bowl and the yolk into the other bowl. Save the yolks for another use. Add the vanilla to the egg whites and, using a fork or whisk, lightly beat until combined.
  • In a small bowl, stir together the chopped pistachios and sea salt. 

In a medium bowl, stir together the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, and kosher salt. Add the egg white mixture and stir until combined. Add the chocolate chips and dried cherries and mix until just incorporated. 

2. Bake the cookies
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. 
Using a tablespoon, spoon the dough onto the sheet pan, spacing the cookies 1 inch apart. Sprinkle each cookie with the pistachio-salt mixture. Bake until chewy and a toothpick comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a wire cooling rack. 

Transfer the cookies to a plate and serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 to 3 days. 

Nutrition per serving: Calories: 120, Protein: 2g (4% DV), Fiber: 1g (4% DV), Total Fat: 4g (6% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 20mg (7% DV), Sodium: 210mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 20g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 13g (26% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.


Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box.