Greek Watermelon Feta Salad

If you’re the type that throws shade at fruit salads, prepare to be schooled. This combination of watermelon and feta is here to prove that fruit has every right to occupy your salad plate. Sweet, salty, and enormously refreshing, it’s what you want to eat in the middle of a summer heat wave. Watermelon is not just incredibly hydrating (it’s more than 90 percent water), it’s also rich in amino acids that can help circulation and soothe sore muscles after a long swim or a hike. 

Greek Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe

Serves 8 to 10

Shopping List
1 organic small watermelon, preferably seedless (about 4 pounds)
1 organic large cucumber (or 2 to 3 organic Persian cucumbers)
½ organic red onion
⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 organic limes
2 tablespoons pine nuts
3 or 4 sprigs organic fresh mint 
1 cup crumbled feta, preferably sheep’s milk
1 tablespoon olive oil, optional

Peeler, optional, large bowl, small frying pan

1 Prep the salad

  • Trim the ends from the watermelon. Stand up the watermelon on one end, then cut along the pink fruit to remove the rind. Cut the fruit lengthwise into 1-inch-thick planks, then cut the planks into 1-inch cubes. Remove any seeds. 
  • Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. 
  • Peel and thinly slice the onion into half moons.
  • Coarsely chop the olives.
  • Zest 1 lime; juice both limes.

2 Toast the pine nuts
In a dry small frying pan over medium-low heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.

3 Prep the mint; assemble the salad

  • Strip the mint leaves from the stems; tear the leaves.

In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, olives, lime zest and juice, and crumbled feta, and toss to coat. 

4 Serve
Transfer the watermelon-feta salad to a platter, and, if using, drizzle the oil over the salad. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts and mint leaves on top of the salad and serve.

Make It Ahead: The salad, without the mint, can be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 3 days; drain off any excess liquid and add fresh mint before serving.

Nutrition per serving: Calories: 170, Protein: 5g (10% DV), Fiber: 1g (4% DV), Total Fat: 9g (14% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 15mg (5% DV), Sodium: 220mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 4g (1% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.

Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box.