We Heart Avocados
- Not your average fruit. That’s right, the fact that avocados have a seed in the middle means they are technically a fruit! With almost 3 grams of protein and only .2 grams of sugar, they’re one of the most protein-packed, low-sugar fruits out there.
- Better than bananas. When it comes to potassium, bananas get all the press, but avocados actually boast twice as much potassium as bananas, a nutrient that supports healthy blood pressure and muscle recovery.
- The good kind of fat. Not all fats are created equal and avocados are a perfect example, proving that it’s what’s inside that counts. While one avocado delivers about 20 to 25 grams of fat, 75% of that fat is monounsaturated, “heart healthy” fat found to increase the ratio of “good” HDL cholesterol to “lethal” LDL cholesterol.
- Vitamin vehicle. All that healthy fat in avocados serves as a virtual Lyft for vitamins A, D, E, and K. These fat soluble vitamins need to hitch a ride with fat in order to be absorbed and utilized by our body.
- Full of fiber. One avocado has a whopping 9 to 10 grams of fiber, the secret weapon that stabilizes blood sugar, boosts stamina, and supports healthy digestion and weight management. (Dietitian's Tip: aim for at least 30 to 35 grams of fiber every day)
- Brain food for babies. Avocados are a terrific food for moms-to-be. They’re chock full of folate, which plays an important role in the development of a healthy brain and nervous system.
- Don’t stop with guac. Avocados are delicious fresh, grilled, stuffed, and even baked. Enjoy them on toast with soft-cooked eggs for a high-protein breakfast. Add it to smoothies, pesto, and salad dressings. Craving something sweet? Avocados bring a rich creaminess to desserts like Chocolate Avocado Pudding or an avo-key-lime pie.
Bite Size Workout
Bite-Size Workouts—Pilates with Mikella Polito
Making a commitment to a better life means embracing fitness as well as healthy eating. Sun Basket can help with both. Sign up for our new Lean & Clean meal plan and enjoy our new Bite-Size Workouts videos. Each week top fitness instructors demonstrate a few simple moves to get us on the road to a more balanced life.Read more