Sesame Fried Feta with Fresh Berries and Mint
Inspried by the flaming fried cheese, aka saganaki, beloved at Greek restaurants and festivals (and often served with a celebratory exclamation,“Opa!”), we’ve dredged feta in rice flour and sesame seeds for a gluten-free take, then pan-fried it. We don’t recommend that you set it on fire; it may be less dramatic than the traditional version, but it’s equally delicious.
Sesame Fried Feta with Fresh Berries and Mint Recipe
2 cups organic mixed fresh berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries
¼ cup honey
One ½-pound block feta (sheep’s milk, preferred)
⅓ cup rice flour
1 large organic egg
½ cup toasted sesame seeds
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 sprigs organic fresh mint
Medium bowl, large frying pan
1 Prep the berries
- If using strawberries, remove the green hulls and thinly slice the strawberries. For other berries, cut any large berries in half.
In a medium bowl, toss the berries with 2 tablespoons of the honey.
2 Prep the feta
- Pat the feta dry and cut into eight ½-inch-thick planks.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, spread the rice flour in an even layer.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl. With a fork or whisk, lightly beat until just blended.
- On another plate or shallow bowl, spread the sesame seeds in an even layer.
Working with one plank at a time, dredge the feta in the rice flour, turning to coat; shake off any excess. Dip the feta into the egg; let the excess drip off, then gently press the feta into the sesame seeds, coating all sides.
3 Cook the feta
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the feta and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
4 Finish the berries
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear or chop the leaves.
Stir the mint into the berries.
Transfer the fried feta to a serving platter, drizzle with the remaining honey and serve with the fresh berries and mint.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 440, Protein: 14g (28% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 90mg (30% DV), Sodium: 540mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 42g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 25g, Added Sugars (honey): 17g (34% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box.